Episode Two: The Great Adventure Part 1

The flannel has been in many places around my hometown, but the first great adventure was to the Pacific Coast.

This past summer, my family and I decided to fly to California to explore the west. Before we left, I convinced Dude to part with his flannel for the summer. The Dude doesn't like to leave home except to visit tractor pulls and farm shows. His flannels, however, live for the adventure. The flannels are the part of the Dude that wish they could fly so easily from home. So they fled in search of life, lunacy, and laughter.

Life came in the calm forests of Redwoods. Roaming in the quiet of the trees, peace wove itself into the flannel. It kept me warm in the cool breeze of the Coastal Ranges. Dude was standing next to me as we overlooked the giant trees touching the clouds. As my family read about the Redwoods and Giant Sequoias, we learned that years of people walking along these trails has caused the root system to shrink. Who would have known that something so big could be so fragile? Who could have guessed that admiring nature's beauty was also killing it? The life I was experiencing in the forest was saving me as much as it was damaging the trees.

The law of conservation of mass states that "mass in an isolated system is neither created nor destroyed by chemical reactions or physical transformations." Life is incredible because it too takes as much as it gives. We, as the human race, often forget to respect the precarious balance that intertwines and yet divides everything. The Great Adventure provided a sense of connection and experience to the Dude and flannel alike.


The Dude's white flannel is around my waist, but unfortunately you can't see it. I accidentally got it muddy on the trail.

Comments

Popular Posts