Episode Three: Sometimes life rocks. Sometimes life sucks.

Well on Monday, September 25, I was wearing the Dude's purple flannel. That particular evening, at play practice, I was asked to Homecoming. I am friends with the guy, and we get along pretty hilariously, so of course I said yes (while snuggled completely in my Dude's comfy embrace). In that moment, life rocked. My other friend had already let me eat four cookies, so I was feeling really amazing. Later that day, I came home to see my grandpa was at my house! What an incredible twist of fate the he had come to see my sister play soccer on the very day I had worn his flannel. Little did I know that the Dude had more in mind than just soccer.

Dude sat me down at the dinner table and told me some health concerns that are not good by a long-shot. He doesn't want me to tell anyone, so I plan to respect that. But as Dude continued to tell me his situation, he was just reciting facts. I sat there in awe of him when he said, "I want you on my team. I am not undergoing any treatments, so I need you on my side. We are having a huddle, and we all need to be praying for the same thing. I need you to stand by my side and help me pray to God for continued healing. I know he will heal it, I have that confidence, but I need my team to stand by me." I looked at my beloved grandpa, and as my heart broke for the situation, I couldn't stop marveling at what an amazing role model this man is for me. I looked him in the eyes and told him, "I can't do that for you." Dude just looked at me with a curious expression. I continued, "I will kneel beside you, then we can see what God will do. I am using the same playbook as you."

Dude later informed me that he and I have a special connection. Clearly I already knew that, but he continued to explain himself. The Dude was previously healed of other ailments that, being the stubborn, cautious-of-medicine man he is, he prayed over and was healed of by God's power. I write this with confidence because I felt it myself. My own chronic jaw pain was miraculously cured at the touch of the Holy Spirit. I don't mean to bring this episode so much to the glory of Heaven, but at the same time, I don't apologize for the things I know to be true.

Sometimes life rocks; sometimes life sucks. Sometimes it is both in one day. I suppose this lesson is on loss or possibly limbo. We take the joy and pain as it comes, but I know Dude will always be by my side and his flannels will be on my back. If you have faith, pray for him. If you don't, that is okay as well. However, in times like these, I am so joyful to have my God to rely on and trust through the hills and valleys.

The Dude's flannel on the day I found out the news.

Also the same day, but this was at my sister's game. Pictured left to right are me, my grandma, and the Dude.

Comments

Popular Posts